I provide a range of professional, high-quality editorial and proofreading services for independent authors. Whether you are looking for thorough copy-editing of your manuscript, help with final formatting for publication, or an entire suite of editorial help from first drafting to published book, I can tailor my services to meet your needs and requirements. My editorial principle is to improve a piece of writing while always respecting and honouring the author’s voice.
I will check and correct the following:
- Grammatical sense
- Syntax and phrasing
- Spelling (conforming with either British or American spelling, and with any other client preferences, such as ‘-ise’ endings)
- Consistency (e.g. of hyphenation, capitalization, number treatment)
- Layout and formatting
- Correlation of parts (e.g. correct ordering of chapters)
- Presentation of references and bibliography
As standard, I provide a style sheet detailing any editorial choices to ensure consistency throughout the manuscript.
I can provide line-by-line editing in order to:
- Improve style, phrasing, diction and fluency
- Remove repetition and wordiness
- Fix irregular or awkward sentences
- Rewrite problematic passages
- Enhance flow between paragraphs and chapters
- Check for consistency of content and narrative
- Ensure basic factual accuracy
I can format your manuscript for:
- Publication on Amazon Kindle or Smashwords
- Publication as a print-on-demand book (e.g. for CreateSpace or IngramSpark)
- Submission to a literary agent or traditional publisher
Developmental and content editing
Depending on the project, I can provide developmental editing (advising on and assisting with the structure, organization and content of your manuscript) at any stage of the writing process. I will always inform you at the initial consultation whether I am best suited to any requirements you have for developmental editing. Although I have experience of working with a variety of fiction and non-fiction genres, I may not be appropriate for your specific genre.
Free initial consultation
I always provide a free initial consultation in order to discuss your project and editorial options. The consultation is an opportunity for you to learn more about how I can help you and to decide whether I am the best fit for your requirements; it entails no commitment from you. As part of this consultation, I will prepare a quote, detailing the work I can do for you, my rates for that work, and an overall fee for the project.